NTDC Ascend Domestic Abuse Service for Women offers confidential support services to women who have or are experiencing Domestic Abuse in their intimate relationships. This also includes abuse within family relationships.
Our services include:
- One-to-One Support.
- Court Accompaniment.
- Information and Outreach Support.
- Personal Development group.
- Delivery of Healthy Relationships Programme to Transition Year students.
- Provision of a Safe House.
Service User testimonial:
“Thanks to all the good, caring people in Ascend and the people, like myself, who were so fortunate to have found Ascend. I would never have got through the tough times without all of you. Please let people know that there is HOPE along the way.”
Ascend Co-Ordinator, Kathleen Maher, says: “The COVID-19 pandemic has seen a sharp increase in the rates of domestic violence. In 2020, Ascend supported 316 women – 175 of these were new to our service. This is an increase of 40% in referrals received to our organisation compared to the previous year. If you are affected by domestic abuse or someone you know needs help, please contact our free service in confidence to discuss either your or their options and to get support”.
Ascend is compromised of a small staff team working under the management and support of North Tipperary Development Company.
We provide support and information to women who have, or are, experiencing domestic abuse in their intimate relationships. We aim to put the safety of women and children at the centre of our work. We aim to empower women in their lives, and to advocate on their behalf where appropriate.
- This service offers support, information, listening and an understanding of domestic abuse issues. We can meet you at a place and time of your convenience throughout North Tipperary.
- We offer a confidential listening and informative telephone service where you have the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have about domestic abuse in your life.
- We will provide you with emotional support; someone will listen to you, believe you, and help you get clarity on your situation. We are here to help a woman identify her options.
- A safety plan will be created in consultation with you. This can be done in person or initial contact can be made over the phone.
- If we have concerns about your safety or that of your children we will make a referral to specialised services within Tusla.
- We can accompany you and participate in Child Protection conferences and other relevant meetings as requested.
- We make referrals to programmes such as TLC Kidz, Family Support Services, external Counselling services, Pieta House and any other relevant agencies according to your needs. We provide support with regard to the following agencies: Referral to a refuge, or alternative temporary housing through Social Work, Social Welfare, Housing and homeless services, Child Protection, Gardaí, Legal Aid, St. Vincent de Paul and many others.
Court Accompaniment Service
- Support you in court on matters relating to domestic violence, maintenance, child access, separation and divorce.
- Give you a clear understanding of the procedures of court.
- Accompany you to appointments with solicitors at your request.
- Explain the different court orders to you.
- Explain what is required of you by the Courts when Orders are granted.
- Provide on-going service to you throughout your court history and follow-up.
We do not provide legal advice or counselling services.
- We run a Personal Development group for women to support their recovery and rebuild their self-esteem.
- We also deliver a Healthy Relationships programme for Transition Year students, girls and boys to promote self-esteem, help them identify abusive behaviour and signpost services. The sessions are interactive and engaging for the young people, promoting discussion and reflective learning.
- We are part of the interagency group-work programme TLC Kidz, hosted by Barnardos, for children and mothers who have been exposed to domestic abuse.
- We are part of the North Tipperary Local Area Network, Safe Ireland, and the Irish Observatory on Violence Against Women.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/AscendAbuse or CLICK HERE
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/ascend_domesticabuse/ or CLICK HERE
Service User Feedback Form
We would appreciate it if you would take a few minutes to share your experience with us.
Your feedback helps us improve our ability to provide you with the best service possible. Thank you!
There are no vacancies with NTDC Ascend at the moment.
Tipp FM Campaign 2021: Domestic Abuse in 3rd Lockdown
Kathleen Speaks to Fran Curry in relation to the Gardaí reporting that amidst the lockdown, they have seen a 20% increase in domestic abuse cases and they are urging victims to remember that they may travel outside the 2km travel zone in order to seek help or get to safety. Kathleen speaks about how hard being stuck at home can be for those in abusive relationships. Click below to hear full radio interview.
Kathleen Maher speaks with Tipp FM Presenter Jim Finn on Ascend Domestic Abuse Services during lockdown and the importance on how the community can respond.
Kathleen Maher speaks with Fran Curry on the increase of referrals to Ascend
Literature and Forms
Please find our literature and forms available to download below: