The NTDC Traveller Programme aims to counter the disadvantage experienced by Travellers across North Tipperary. Working in partnership with the HSE, Tipperary Co Council and other agencies the programme promotes equality of access and outcomes for Travellers in the county. There are three strands to the programme:
- Primary Healthcare Project
- Family Support Project
- Development Work Project
Traveller Primary Healthcare Project
The Primary Healthcare Project is a peer led service providing primary healthcare services to the Traveller Community. The project provides culturally appropriate and accessible health information on priority health issues as identified in the All Ireland Traveller Health Study as well as on issues identified locally. The project aims to:
- increase the knowledge of health and health services among the Traveller Community
- Increase health promoting behaviour in the community
- Increase awareness among service providers of the barriers to access experienced by the Traveller Community.
Traveller Family Support Project
The Traveller Family Support Project provides support to Traveller families to build their strengths/resilience and respond to challenging issues in a way that is culturally sensitive and competent. The project supports Traveller children and young people to develop and achieve the five national outcomes in a way that respects, values and includes their culture in support actions.
- It is an early intervention and prevention programme
- Support is provided to parents and families in their own homes and communities
- It promotes and protects the health, well-being and rights of all the children, young people and families it works with, with a particular focus on those who are vulnerable or at risk.
- It supports and strengthens transitions for children and young people
- It listens to and involves young people
- It re-enforces informal social networks
- It works in partnership and in an integrated way with statutory, community and voluntary organisations in order to meet the family’s needs.
- It ensures that children and families receive a quality service
Traveller Development Work Project
The Traveller Development Work Project provides a service to Traveller families in Nenagh and Borrisokane, providing support to the community to access educational and social activities as well as providing activities for the community and promoting community relations. The project aims to:
- Increase access to services by the community
- Develop better support systems within the community
- Increase access to education, training and social activities
- Develop leadership skills within the community
Roscrea Office: 0505 23379
Thurles Office: 0504 90579
Nenagh Office: 067 56676